Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Organizing the Life of a Student Athlete

Being a student athlete in college is one of the greatest privileges that someone can have. For myself, I am able to continue playing the game that I love along with getting a top-notch education. However, keeping everything organized while playing sports and going to school can be challenging. At the Division III level, I think athletes are expected to do more, not only to prepare for their sport, but also to prepare for their school work. Being organized is absolutely essential to being productive.

As a Division III student athlete, I know all too well how demanding it is to balance school work and athletics. My daily schedule is always planned out to the T.

My daily schedule right now looks a little like this:

    - Wake up at 7:30 a.m.
    - Workout from 8:00 a.m. until 9:00 a.m.
    - Class from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
    - Homework from 3:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.
    - Workout and Baseball Training from 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.

This is just an offseason daily schedule right now. During the baseball season I will add practice from 3:00 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. on normal days. Meaning that I will need to push back all of my school work until after. Not to mention all of the extracurricular activities that I am involved in.

Right now we are in fall baseball mode which means that we practice 4 days a week and play all day on Saturday and Sunday. For example this past weekend I was at the baseball field from 9:00 a.m. getting extra work in before practice until 5:00 p.m. when we stopped playing games.

As you can imagine being organized and planning out every second of the day is the only way to make sure I am getting everything I need to get done, done.

One thing I do to make everything work is schedule blocking. Schedule blocking is when you piece out an hour or two of your schedule to focus on only one thing. Whether it be school work or athletic training each block only gets that one task. This helps me keep all of my work organized and keeps me on task while working. Below I have put a screenshot of my personal schedule for reference on how to schedule block.

Life can be stressful as a student athlete, especially when dealing with the high academic demands of a Division III program. If you are a student athlete and need help keeping organized, ask your academic advisor for help. I found it helpful as well to ask your coach for help, they want you to succeed in the classroom as much as they want you to succeed on the field.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great way to stay organized. This may definitely motivate other student athletes to create a certain schedule to be organized with school, workouts, and homework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this post! What a great way to stay on top of things and focus your time to get things done in the most efficient way. I am not a student athlete, but I am involved in many organizations on campus and am thinking about giving this a try. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you need to be so organized. That's a ton of time to commit to your sport and would make it a lot harder to do extracurricular activities. Props to you for being able to stay on top of it though. I know I'd probably fail pretty badly at trying to stay that organized.

    ReplyDelete