Monday, September 18, 2017

The Why and How for Maintaining Strong Family Relationships Through College

Everyone goes through struggles in life at one point or another. When we are experiencing the pressures that school, work, and life have on us, we often rely on the people who are closest to us. For myself, I fall back on my greatest support group, my home, and my family.

My home and my family are two things that I miss while being away at college.

My outlet for all of my pressures in life is my family. If I am having a bad day and need to talk to someone, I call my parents and brother.  They always guide me to the right decisions when I am struggling with school, life or relationships. They always have my back when I have had a rough day of classes or life is getting me down. The ultimate stress reliever when I am away at college is my family.

Having a close relationship with my family is something that I make sure I maintain throughout my time away at college. Here are my key points to consider for keeping close relationships with family when away at school:

    1. I make sure to call family at least twice a week to update them on how classes, life, and relationships are going.

    2. When I am not calling family, I make sure to send texts periodically throughout the day, especially goodnight and that I love them. (this goes a long way)


    3. I try to make time for two visits home a semester, not including scheduled university breaks.


Remembering to accomplish these three easy points has provided me with strong relationships with my family. Although I do not see them as much as I used to, they are always there for me when I need them. They are my greatest support system, and I could not imagine completing college without their guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment